Unity Schools Partnership


Our Schools
01440 333400 Contact Us

Does my child need SEND support?

Many children need extra, targeted support at some point during their education. Most children can find the support they need in mainstream nurseries, schools and colleges. We work hard to ensure our schools are well-equipped to provide this support through our Every Leader a Leader of SEND programme and high-quality training and support for teachers and teaching assistants. See our SEND page for more information.

SEND support will vary depending on the complexities of your child’s needs, but always involves an Assess-Plan-Do-Review approach that is agreed with parents.

Sometimes, even though the child is receiving support, there may still be concerns about how much progress they are making. In this instance your child’s school may discuss with you whether you would like to consider an application for an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).  The EHCP is a statutory document which sets out the support a child or young person needs from all the agencies that will support them.

In addition to SEND support in mainstream schools, we offer specialist SEND units in some of our mainstream primary schools and a number of special schools catering for a wide range of needs.

Who can I talk to?

If your child is of school age and you think your child may have special educational needs, speak to your child’s teacher/key worker, or contact the SEND co-ordinator (SENDCO) in your child’s school or nursery.   

If your child is not yet in education, speak to your doctor or healthy visitor on what to do next, or contact your local council – Essex, Suffolk, London Borough of Havering or Cambridgeshire.

Where else can I access advice and support?

The local authority, as part of their Local Offer, have an Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service, which can give you advice about SEND:

The Government’s website may also be a useful source of information, including what counts as SEND and where to find more information on school admissions, applying for school transport and further help and support.

Finding the right support can sometimes be a minefield. The services above have been put into place to help make finding information and getting support and advice easier.

However, if you still cannot find the right support, or you are not satisfied by the advice given to you by your school’s SENDCO, please contact Unity Schools Partnership, using the Contact Us page and we will find the right person to give you the right advice.